Once upon a time, a carton of free range eggs was striving for culinary purpose, other than a mere scramble or hard boil. What to make? Ever the quandary. I knew I wanted to have something light and protein-rich. Then I began looking through my kitchen, and the sight of sun dried tomatoes and a zucchini got my gears turning. Checked the cheese drawer, mozzarella, perfect! What about those muffin tins collecting dust? Then it hit me . . . Italian Mini Frittatas, using just what I had at home. Now I was planning these as a “I’m not super hungry because I already ate way too much earlier” dinner, but really these would shine as breakfast or brunch. They pair-up perfectly with a little hot sauce too.
Trying to keep in-sync with a healthy dish, I am adding more veggies like red onion, garlic and spinach. The flavors work well together and since we sauté the veggies pre-bake, this ends up a protein-packed recipe, easily done ahead of time, for any meal.
This is not only lighter because it is sans butter or crust, we lighten our load by using egg whites. I do not use egg white substitute or liquid from the store, but rather, I find it crucial to separate fresh eggs on my own. But no need to toss those unused yolks! Save them in fridge within a small, airtight container, for an exciting dessert recipe to follow . . . For now we stick with the whites, so let’s get something in the oven.
Now those are some nice frittatas!
- ¾ cup finely chopped zucchini
- ¼ cup chopped fresh spinach
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion (or white if you don't have red)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (rinsed from oil, and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T fresh basil, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup feta cheese (crumbled, low fat)
- 2 T shredded mozzarella
- 2 T grated parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 5 egg whites (save yolks for another recipe to follow!!)
- 3 egg yolks
- S&P to taste
- Paprika for topping
- EVOO (for sautéing veggies in skillet)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 6 tray muffin tin well with oil, set aside.
- In skillet on stove sauté onion, garlic, and zucchini with about 1 T EVOO, till tender (Drain any excess fluid/juices).
- To skillet add chopped sun-dried tomatoes and spinach and continue to sauté for about another min.
- In a bowl whisk egg whites, yolks, basil, feta and mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper together.
- In prepared muffin tin, add sautéed veggie mixture into each cup evenly (about ½ way up cup).
- To this spoon in egg & cheese mix filling to top of cups.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and paprika.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until frittata sets and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In pan, let frittatas cool on wire rack completely before removing from pan.
- *to remove from pan, use knife to separate edges from tin, before removing by inverting muffin tin onto plate.
Also, make sure in the vegetable sauté, that you drain any excess liquid or moisture if any remains! (Will affect consistency of frittata).
This one is great at breakfast with a little hot sauce!
Here is something guilt-free you can manage to eat, even with only a minute to spare before work. Sorry Special K! Breakfast can be better.