Seeing as it is the Memorial Holiday Weekend—with bright sunshine, good friends & festivities—there is a lot to be thankful for. I decided to construct a patriotic summer-inspired libation appropriate for entertaining, and honoring the memory of those who lost their lives serving our country. It is because of them we are able to enjoy this day. Planning a lil’ beachside get-together with friends, I decided we needed more than just beer. Something refreshing, something patriotic, and something simple! I just returned from my local farmer’s market with an armful of fruit bounty. As I was about to assemble a fruit salad it dawned on me . . . summer fruit AND I have Champagne chilling . . . who needs lame salad, we’ll drink our fruit! I could almost picture it in my hand, a sparkling red, white & blue Champagne cocktail with fresh cherries, white raspberries & blueberries, all with a touch of blackberry brandy (because it’s a holiday of course).
The days are getting hotter, so I want to keep things light (and I don’t even have to get out the blender!) Keep the Champagne on ice, grab some ripe summer cherries, and you’re covered. If you do not have blackberry brandy, you can add a splash of another liquor—apricot brandy, vodka, Cointreau—if you fancy, or just stick to the bubbles.
Despite being undoubtedly refreshing, this one is ridiculously easy and holidays shouldn’t be stressful—that’s what the rest of the work week is for!
- 1 bottle Brut Champagne, or sparkling wine, chilled (we use about 4 oz/serving)
- 1 ounce Blackberry Brandy
- 2 ounces sparkling mineral water (such as Arrowhead, I prefer the lime flavor)
- fresh ripe cherries, halved and pitted
- fresh blueberries
- fresh white raspberries
- ice cubes
- *skewers or long toothpicks for fruit garnish, optional
- In festive cocktail glasses combine Champagne, sparkling water, blackberry brandy & couple of ice cubes.
- Add in some of each fruit, and garnish with skewer with a cherry, raspberry & mint leaf.
- See, I told you it was easy!
In addition to those who serve, I am honoring the loving memory of a dear friend who passed away 5 years ago this weekend. I know he would have loved one of these, sitting on the beach with friends. This one is for you EK!
May your 3-Day weekend be packed-full of fun & festive libations, cheers!