Who doesn’t like tacos? And who doesn’t like soup? Well, let’s make this easy folks… bust-out your can openers, knives, and soup pots & let’s bring Taco Tuesday home. On this rainy night, I can’t think of anything better than a comforting brew on the stove. This particular one-pot-wonder is quick, low fat & easy. You can use whatever you have on hand, but you will need some staple canned goods & key fresh ingreds to get this going. We’re talking something protein-packed like low-fat ground turkey or beef, fiber-filled frijoles, crisp corn, tangy diced tomatoes, and crushed-crunchy tortilla chips for topping. So, here’s the scoop on the soup…
- 1 package ground, lean turkey *(taco seasoned if available, of not, use more seasonings below)
- 1 (11 oz) can white shoepeg corn, drain excess liquid
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes (Rotel, with Lime & cilantro in juice)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (with green chilies), drain excess juice from this one
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans (seasoned variety), drain excess liquid & rinse
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drain majority of liquid, but reserve about ¼ and don't rinse
- 1(7 oz) can mild, diced green chilies
- 1 (32 oz) carton chicken broth (low fat, reduced sodium)
- 1 lime, juiced and the zest of
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic. chopped
- 1 T of butter (for cooking onion & garlic)
- ¼ cup white wine (dry preferably)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (skim)
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- ¼ tsp, kosher salt
- chopped green onion
- dollop of sour cream
- crushed tortilla chip pieces
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- heat butter in large pot, melting and adding onion & garlic
- cook on low till tender & adding about 1 T of white wine. Reduce.
- to this add, turkey meat and stir occasionally browning, & cooking through
- add cayenne pepper, cumin, salt & pepper; stir
- add canned tomatoes, corn, black beans (drained), pinto beans (with ¼ of canned liquid)
- heat, adding diced green chilies and chicken stock, and rest of wine, and lime juice & zest
- continue to simmer on low for about 20 minutes
- remove from heat and burner, and let cool slightly.
- add to this the shredded mozzarella cheese and stir well
- add back to heat slowly and stir occasionally (about 5 minutes)
- s&p additionally to taste
- plate & serve with topping of sour cream, green onion & tortilla chip pieces.
Easy on the added salt, as the seasoned meat has a lot of sodium already; salt to taste at the end if you still need to.
Remember sour cream topping with crispy tortilla bits! Great with corn bread or warm tortillas too. enjoy warm with extra squeeze of lime.
This was bueno and I’m looking forward to a second bowl here shortly. Enjoy the rainy night and hope you can cozy-up with some of this flavorful soup soon…Pin It