My farmer’s market finds are usually vegetable related, sometimes a plant here or there, but yesterday I made a bitchin’ find…literally. I visited the stand and chatted with Mr. Smith of the local, Carlsbad Company – Bitchin’ Sauce. This family- owned operation makes incredibly tasty, all-natural, almond-based sauces (They are vegan & gluten free too!). All made with Grapeseed oil, almonds, lemon juice, garlic, soy protein and spices. You can try three savory varieties: Original Bitchin’ Sauce (which is got some lemon & herb going on), Spicy Chipotle, and Pesto. Yum.
The sauces are thick, and make excellent cold dips for chips, sugar snap peas, even a carrot! Hard to believe they are so smooth and have no dairy… think I found my new game time snack. They would also make excellent sauces to cook with, for pasta, marinades, even on chicken, and fish.
Lb’s Easy Bitchin’ Shrimp Burritos:
- 1/2-1 lb fresh shrimp (raw, peeled, deveined)
- flour or multi-grain tortillas (large size)
- refried beans (I like the lime & chili, non fat kind)
- shredded potatoes (fresh, hash-brown style)
- shredded cheese (I like the Mexican blend)
- sour cream
- salsa (fresh kind in refrigerated section) I like Margaritaville, medium!
- fresh spinach (chopped)
- lime (wedges)
- cook the shrimps! (For this, I sautéed in olive oil, wine, S &P, and juice of a lime) They cook fast, about 4 mins.
- drain off any extra juices , and add some Bitchin’ Chipotle, (I added about 3 T). heat on low.
- heat-up the refried beans in a separate pot (I added some S&P, lime juice, and Cholula)
- crisp-up shredded potatoes in another pan, with a little butter.
- chop fresh spinach and set-aside.
- heat & crisp-up tortillas slightly in another pan.
- once all components are ready and willing, begin burrito build.
- to the shrimps, beans and potatoes, add some salsa, cheese, spinach, sour cream, and some lime juice!
- eat bitchin’ burrito and enter into food coma happily…
There was not a shrimp left on my plate, I can attest to that! The Chipotle Bitchin’ Sauce was perfecto for burrito purposes. I can think of many more dishes I’d like to make with this sauce, but the burrito may have to make a comeback tonight!…
You can get your Bitchin’ Sauces at the LJ Farmer’s Market on Sunday mornings, other SD and OC markets, and even order online. www.bitchinsauce.com. I’m looking forward to pesto next. Go get some!